Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cloudbusting - Japan 12" Single


This is the Japanese 12" single for Cloudbusting. Apart from the Japanese 12" for On Stage, this is probably the only other Japanese 12" single that I have. As I've mentioned in several other posts, I gave up fairly quickly on Japanese releases, especially when they began to mimic the UK original releases too much. Originally, one of the more exciting things about Japanese releases, for me, was their unique design layouts and the bold Japanese text that was often found splashed across the cover in certain angles. So when this changed at some point, and all releases became nothing more than a twin counterpart to the original release, I lost interest in collecting them.


The Japanese 12" for Cloudbusting is a good example of how later releases really lost their individual uniqueness. If you take a look at the front and back of the picture sleeve, you will see that there's really nothing here that sets it apart from the UK release. In fact, if it wasn't for the silver coloured obi-strip that's wrapped around the sleeve, you really wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the UK one unless you looked on the bottom reverse side, where you will find a minimal amount of Japanese writing.


Like all Japanese releases, this also comes with a Japanese insert which features English lyrics and loads of Japanese text. Surprisingly, this insert is one-sided. This is the only time I've ever encountered this, and I have absolutely no idea if this was common with the 12" singles. I'm almost tempted to open up my 12" of On Stage, just to see if there's a similar one-sided insert in there, but I won't.


Even the record labels are completely devoid of any Japanese text. If it wasn't for the red circular printing on the label, you wouldn't even know where this record was from.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.