Monday, November 7, 2011

The Big Sky - UK 12" Single


The final 12" single from Hounds of Love, and also the final flimsy 12" sleeve. If you look at the front of the cover, on the right-hand side, you will see how easy it is to crease these things. It wouldn't be so bad if they had been made from thicker card stock, but as it is, it doesn't take very much to damage them at all.


The 12" has the exact same front and back artwork as the 7" single, and I still think it looks cheaply done. I still think it would have been much more effective had the front and back photos been blown up to the size of the sleeve itself, but that's just me. And, like the Cloudbusting 12", The Big Sky doesn't use the album version or video mix on its 12" release, but the Meteorological Mix instead. I personally hate this mix. I don't think it's all that interesting or good, and maybe that's down to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the song to begin with.


If you look on the back of the sleeve, there's something I want to point out that irks me about all the 12" sleeves for Hounds of Love, besides their flimsiness. I don't know if all these sleeves were cut too short, or if it's the opening on them, but I personally don't like how the tip of the record protrudes and is exposed. I'm sure this was probably done to make it easier to get the records out, but to me it's a flawed design idea. If you don't protect your vinyl jackets with plastic sleeves, which you should always do, having your records exposed like this makes it easier for them to collect dust and other junk floating around.

For anyone that may be wondering, the 12” did not get an additional picture disc release like the 7” single did. There are also no vinyl inscriptions on either of the 7" versions or the 12" release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.